Carbon Capture, Utilisation and Storage (CCUS)
Committed to accelerating the transition to a low carbon future through carbon capture
The benefits of Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS) to reduce greenhouse gas emissions have been recognized for many years. The usage of captured carbon (CCUS) adds to the key role played in reaching net zero emissions in IEA and IPCC studies, cutting across a range of sectors including heating, industry, low carbon hydrogen production and atmospheric carbon dioxide removal. Keeping global warming below 2 degrees Celsius will be significantly more expensive – and may be unachievable – if carbon capture and storage technology, as well as it's utilisation does not get deployed at scale.
The carbon dioxide value chain
AFRY’s CCS and CCUS consultants have extensive capability that enables us to offer unique solutions to customers investing across the wide range of the carbon dioxide reduction technology.
As governments and the global economy tackle the climate change challenge and reduction of carbon emissions across their economies and industrial processes, we expect CCUS to play an increasing role in the energy transition, complementing other important emissions reduction technologies such as renewables energy mix and energy efficiency.
At AFRY, we have made a commitment towards accelerating the transition to clean energy. We define clean energy as energy derived from net zero emissions sources, as well as energy saved through efficiency measures, and from very-low carbon sources such as those applying CCUS technologies.
We accept that no source of clean energy is completely challenge free and therefore we promote a balanced mix of technologies and solutions. CCUS offers a carbon removal route that enables traditional industrial processes to remain while emitting little or net zero carbon dioxide.
AFRY has been at the forefront of CCUS work for over 10 years and we have undertaken more than 30 carbon capture projects for policy makers, industry groups and developers. We have an expert understanding of CCS technologies, policies, business models and economics as well as groups with engineering and technical experience.
Explore our services in CCUS technology and discover how we can support you to achieve net zero emissions to reach climate goals.
Management consulting services
- Direct support for CCS and CCUS projects
- Assessments of commercial models for CCUS projects and infrastructure
- Assessment of CCUS costs and ways of driving cost reductions
- Analysis of the role CCUS technologies should play in the energy system
- CCUS scenarios and development pathways for policy
Energy and power services
- Existing process optimisation and carbon dioxide emissions reduction
- CCUS technologies assessment
- Power plant modelling and process impact assessment
- Project scope, full chain cost and time schedule implementation
- Renewable energy power plants replacing fossil fuel plants to reduce carbon emissions
- Permitting for carbon capture projects
- BECCS – coal to biomass, carbon capture and storage studies
- Energy from Waste carbon capture, utilisation and storage studies
Process industries services
- Optimisation of existing industrial processes and carbon dioxide source reduction
- Carbon capture technology and permanent storage assessment
- Plant modelling and process impact assessment
- Project scope, cost and time schedule implementation
- Pipeline sizing
- Bio-refining/Bioindustry – utilisation of carbon dioxide through chemical synthesis/bio-fuel upgrade
- Buffer storage: carbon dioxide specification, carbon storage capacity
- Carbon storage: injection site identification, carbon dioxide specifications, carbon storage capacity and infrastructure sizing
- Transportation and storage infrastructure studies
- Harbour, truck, and train infrastructure for handling carbon dioxide
- Ship sizing
- Permanent storage in deep geological formations