We develop efficient energy solutions for our customers based on renewable raw materials throughout their life cycle.
Bio-based solutions are playing a more important role in the quest to establish a sustainable world. Many plant owners and operators are using biomass to decarbonise their new or existing processes to meet the requirements set by legal, societal and market pressures.
AFRY have been involved in industrial scale Biomass-to-Energy projects since the 1970’s. We are Europe’s leading designer of bioenergy solutions, and our expertise is based on our solid experience having had substantial involvement in design and construction of more than 60,000 MWe of thermal power projects utilizing biomass, biofuels or biogas.
We develop efficient energy solutions for our customers based on renewable raw materials throughout their life cycle. Our customers benefit from AFRY's ability to provide complete bioenergy-related solutions from under one roof utilizing the best and latest know-how from our global network of experts and partners.
We have extensive technical experience in
- Biomass sourcing
- Fuel handling
- Boiler technologies
- Flue gas treatment and Flue Gas Condensers
- Steam turbines
- Balance of Plant (BOP)
- Heat storage
- Life cycle costs
- Refurbishment of existing facilities
- Performance optimization
- Combined Heat & Power (CHP)
- Due Diligence
- White and torrefied pellets production
- Sludge treatment systems
- Co-incineration of waste and biofuels
- Boiler conversions for Biomass firing
- Plant layout design
- Automation and electrical systems
- Biogas, anaerobic digestion.
We offer the following services in the field of biomass-to-energy:
- Pre-feasibility and feasibility studies
- EIA procedure / Environmental licensing
- Pre-engineering (incl. Procurement)
- Engineering Procurement Construction Management services (EPCM)
- Owner’s engineer services (OE)
- Lender’s Engineer services
- Contractor’s engineer services
- Detail engineering, delivery supervision, suppliers workshop QA/QC
- Project, site and commissioning management
- Supervision of guarantee and performance test procedures
- Training of technical personnel
- Trouble shooting
- Risk management
- Optimizations of combustion and plant
- Measurement and testing services
- Operation and maintenance advisory services
- Institutional and regulatory development in the energy sector
- Studies of alternative fuel policies and of fuel supply and handling
- Advice regarding project financing and associated Lenders Technical Advisory service
- Technical and Commercial due diligence services for sellers, buyers and lenders of power plants and power projects.
Did you know?
AFRY has had substantial involvement in design and construction of more than 60,000 MWe of thermal power.
We are currently the Owners Engineer for the MGT Teesside 299 MWe Biomass Power Plant, in the UK; the largest dedicated biomass project of its kind.
We have designed biopower plants in countries such as Finland, Sweden, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Germany, U.K., France, Russia, Poland, South Korea, Turkey, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam, Philippines, Papua New Guinea, P.R. of China and Chile.