Hydro Planning, Design and Construction
Innovative and Sustainable Hydropower
World renowned knowledge in designing hydro power plants and dams.
We provide design and design review services for hydroelectric power plants, from tenders to detailed design. This includes expertise from all fields of engineering e.g. civil, geotechnical, hydraulic, mechanical or electrical engineering backgrounds. We also have experts with substantial experience and expertise in various legal, regulatory, institutional, financial, technical, social and environmental frameworks for design.
AFRY is ISO 9001 certified and our design is based on the principle of routine quality reviews and quality assurance.
Our project design and design review services include:
- Design review and value engineering studies
- Additional hydrological, topographical and geotechnical investigations
- Tender design and technical specifications
- Bill of quantities for Civil, HSS and E&M works
- Tender documents in line with commonly used terms and conditions (i.e.FIDIC)
- Foundation engineering and geological / geotechnical analysis for surface and underground works
- Structural analysis, Finite Element studies and safety evaluation
- Construction design and drawings (including BIM)
- Bar Bending Schedule
- Site data documentation
- As-built drawings
Run of River
Run-of-river schemes, which are often constructed in the bed of large rivers, not only generate electricity, but also provide flood protection, contribute to tourism development, influences bed load and sediment transportation and sometimes guarantee shipping transport. It is no wonder that they are highly complex structures to construct.
Presenting economically sound concepts and meeting high ecological standards are every day commitments for AFRY. We place special focus on:
- Hydrological and geological data assessments
- Economical design flow analysis
- Proven river diversion concepts
- Elaborated construction phases
- Flood risk management
- Ecological improvement
Having designed, upgraded and rehabilitated numerous run-of-river schemes, our experts understand how to create added value and meet client expectations. Our hydromechanical experts, in particular, provide specialised expertise in all types of turbine concepts, such as:
- Bulb turbines
- Straflo turbines
- Kaplan turbines
- Matrix turbines
- Francis turbines (in some cases)
Cutting edge construction and commissioning management
We are proud to be recognized as one of the world’s most innovative experts in the field of managing hydroelectric power plants.
With experience from more than 300 major projects worth billions of dollars, we offer extensive expertise ranging from pre-construction planning, to complete construction supervision, to post-construction closeout and commissioning services.
We also offer a unique set of capabilities serving as the owner's representative, ensuring compliance with design specifications and contract terms, providing procurement, monitoring milestones, cost, and quality of ongoing construction project.
Our construction supervision services include:
- Site supervision
- Project Management Consulting (PMC)
- Contract management
- Change order management
- Cost and schedule management
- Quality control and quality assurance
- Document control and management
- Certification for contractor bills
- Claims and dispute resolution
- Health & safety management and performance monitoring
- Site workshop and inspections
- Value engineering
Our commissioning services include:
- Review of commissioning processes and procedures
- Inspection and functional performance testing
- Operations and maintenance support
- Handover processes, construction to operation
- Compliance with contractual specifications and requirements
- Make recommendations on any observed deficiencies
- Staff training and know-how transfer
We are committed to innovation and achieving the highest safety standards on all our projects, using Integrated Management System (ISO 9001:2008, ISO 14001:2004, and OHSAS 18001:2007) and proven cutting-edge technologies and safety practices to avoid and reduce risks to our employees, clients, partners and surrounding communities.
Fish Pass Facilities
Providing engineering services for the design and implementation of project specific fish passing facilities
The development of a hydro power project must take the river systems, as well as the aquatic fauna and river uses at the planned location, into consideration.
Many facilities serve multiple purposes and therefore should take into account constraints upstream and downstream of the reservoirs. The provision of sustainable fish passing is a challenging and complex task for river managers and hydro power plant operators and requires a highly interdependent teamwork between interdisciplinary specialized professionals.