Hydro Power Plants
Clean energy through the greater use of hydropower
With world renowned knowledge in designing hydro power plants and dams, we provide operators and stakeholders of hydroelectric power plants with design and design review services, from tenders to detailed design.
In the sector of new power stations, we undertake comprehensive site investigations, environmental compatibility studies, energy studies, minimum stream flow studies, licensing applications, project planning, feasibility studies, tender design and tender documents. Our construction design and supervision ensure high-quality construction, which includes the implementation of newest electromechanical equipment and components, as well as innovative design of small-scale hydropower stations.
Innovative and Sustainable Hydropower
Our experience covers a broad range of conventional plants, from the alpine type, with long tunnels and hundreds of meters heads, to low run-of-river facilities, developing few meters head. In addition, we have developed along the years an extensive know-how on the design and implementation of reversible pumped storage plants.
Our areas of expertise
- Reservoir storage schemes
- Cascade schemes
- Multipurpose schemes
- Low head hydropower
- High/Medium head hydropower
- Small hydropower plants (and low head HP)
- Run-of-river power plants
- Fish passing facilities
- Hydraulic structures
- Pumped storage power plants
- Mechanical/Electrical/Hydromechanical equipment
- Hydromechanical equipment
- Electrical equipment
- Process control and automation for hydro power plants
- Tunneling and underground structures
- Technical and economical assessment (Due Diligence)
- Planning and design of new power plants
- Project management, construction supervision and commissioning
- Building Information Modelling (BIM)
- Operation and maintenance
- Safety and risk management
In addition to the large hydropower plants that stand out due to their impressive dams and weirs, small hydropower plants are also used to generate electrical power. Small hydropower plants function on the same principle as large hydropower plants and differ mainly in the performance class. In Europe, systems with a performance of up to 10 MW are described as small hydropower plants. We draw on long-standing practical experience and are thoroughly familiar with the requirements for the construction or conversion of small power stations for our customers.