Clean energy - our commitment to accelerating the energy transition
AFRY has supported the transition to low carbon, clean energy power sources, and energy efficiency since the early 1990s. As consultants and thought leaders, we advise policymakers, utilities, industry players, developers, financiers, and end-users to define appropriate actions during all stages of the energy transition. As engineers, we deliver innovative solutions to achieve sustainability goals.
At AFRY, we define clean energy as energy derived from zero-emissions sources, as well as energy saved through efficiency measures, carbon removal and storage technologies. We accept that no source of clean energy is completely challenge free, however we promote a balanced mix of technologies and solutions, taking into account the different resources and requirements in each geography.
The knowledge and technologies to allow full decarbonisation are available, yet progress must be accelerated and collective action is needed. Energy lies at the heart of both the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Paris Agreement on Climate Change. According to the United Nations, ensuring access to affordable, reliable and sustainable energy for all will open a new world of opportunities for billions of people.
Clean energy: finding purpose at work, with Åsa Agervald
Accelerating the transition to clean energy
At AFRY, we are uniquely positioned to provide a one stop shop for our clients no matter where they are in the energy transition. With more than 4,000 experts in more than 80 locations throughout Europe, Middle East, Asia, Africa and Latin America, we cover services across management consulting, engineering, capex projects, operations and digital solutions. We take pride in being committed to sustainable development, which protects the environment as well as making good business sense, in everything we do.
As part of AFRY, our team is backed by 19,000 engineers, designers and advisors within infrastructure, industry and energy who are at the cutting-edge of technology and have collective expertise that spans industries and geographies. Our expertise covers every aspect of the transition towards clean energy, from market analysis and strategy to investments and operations. Whether you’re looking for sharp, independent advice to inform your strategy, or you need a full scope implementation partner for a new asset, you can depend on AFRY.
1.5 Business Playbook
- The 1.5ºC Business Playbook is a concrete tool that guides companies and organisations to exponential climate strategy and action, helping them align with the 1.5°C ambition to halve emissions by 2030 and reach close to net zero by 2050.
- The 1.5°C Business Playbook helps companies shift business focus to zero-carbon solutions and is designed to work in harmony with existing standards and key initiatives such as the Greenhouse Gas Protocol (GHG), Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi), and CDP.
- The decision to exit from new build coal projects in January 2021 supports AFRY’s strategy and our goals within sustainability and the clean energy transition. We pride ourselves on providing leading solutions for generations to come and believe this is a step in the right direction in achieving this.
- Our collaboration with Gapminder Foundation addresses the complex nature of the world so that we can actually make progress in our understanding of the transformation from a linear to a circular society, which requires us to be brave and stay close to the facts that drive our decision-making.
- If we can contribute to providing facts and dismantling global misconceptions around our areas of expertise, we also contribute to creating a framework that allows other decision-makers to be able to make accurate decisions.
- Gapminder has launched the UN Goals Test, in collaboration with AFRY experts, to address misconceptions about the biggest challenges of our time. Take the test
- Norrsken is a non-profit foundation that supports entrepreneurs working to solve our greatest challenges, such as poverty, famine, environmental issues, mental health and integration.
- AFRY’s experts will help the entrepreneurs at Norrsken by providing advice about sustainability and digitalisation.
- Entrepreneurs at Norrsken will be involved in AFRY's ecosystem of customers, partners and employees to fuel ideas, innovation and new business models.
Digitalisation represents one of the most powerful and universal tools we have to tackle climate change and reduce global emissions. We will work together with Norrsken to exchange knowledge in order to innovate, digitalise and scale up solutions which will accelerate the transition towards a sustainable society.
says Jonas Gustavsson, CEO at AFRY.
Clean Energy webinars
Register for upcoming webinars and check out recent recordings. From green hydrogen to e-mobility, from South East Asia to the Nordics, from climate policy to digitalisation, our experts and their knowledgeable guests share the latest insights into the energy transition over a course of regular webinars spanning from March 2020 to date.
Podcast: Fuelling the transition
Leading industry experts join us to discuss how energy systems are responding to decarbonisation, digitalisation and decentralisation in our AFRY Management Consulting podcast hosted by Matt Brown.
AFRY BIPV: Building Integrated Photovoltaics
Our AFRY experts can help you realise your goals for solar installation in urban environments. Developing more sustainable concepts to advance our cities while keeping them attractive and livable is one of the main challenges of today. AFRY BIPV is an integrated engineering and advisory service to support all energy stakeholders in realising solar installations in metropolitan districts.
AFRY Independent Market Reports
Our independent market reports are the definitive guide to the future of energy markets. We are the leading supplier of independent long-term price projections for energy markets, and consistently testified by our clients to be an independent, trusted and bankable viewpoint.
BID3: AFRY’s Power Market Modelling Suite
BID3 is AFRY’s power market dispatch model that uses advanced mathematical techniques to model the dispatch of power stations, market prices, capacity evolution, and all other important features of power markets. BID3 is used in many power markets worldwide, including the European network along with South America, Asia-Pacific, and the Middle East. BID3 is available to purchase, and is used by generators, regulators and TSOs on a daily basis.
AFRY EASY (Energy Assessment System) is designed to optimise energy management costs and revenues, helping you to achieve savings in energy expenditure by improving sourcing, optimising energy consumption and efficiently insourcing key activities.
Do you know where your risks really lie? What are the most feasible and reasonable improvements you should focus on? Do you collect the right data to improve your operation and maintenance (O&M)? AFRY’s life cycle services provide clear analysis to make the right decisions to reduce risks, increase production and safety and enable you to focus your resources where they matter most.
AFRY Insights - 2021 summer edition
Digitalisation affects all areas of life and business, from mobility to urban development, from manufacturing to construction and from energy production to energy management. Amid the unprecedented challenges these sectors are facing, smart and intelligent solutions have never paid off as much as they do today. In this issue of AFRY Insights, our colleagues share their most recent insights on the latest questions regarding digitalisation.
“We look at the transition to clean energy through three dimensions, as we help companies in the energy sector shift from a largely fossil based world to a renewable clean energy world: Decarbonisation, decentralisation and digitalisation. Our clients find themselves at various starting points with regard to decarbonisation and it's our job to help them progress, no matter what stage they are at. A lot can be achieved towards decarbonisation through digital solutions and decentralisation, and within this process there is the opportunity to positively impact security of supply and affordability for end users"
Matt Brown, Vice President AFRY Management Consulting
+44 7973 199 112