Launching AFRY's 1.5°C Roadmap
Launching AFRY's 1.5°C Roadmap
AFRY’s climate targets include halving our emissions by 2030 (with 2019 as base year) and achieving net zero emissions by 2040. We support our clients in accelerating the sustainable transition, and it is through our assignments we have the greatest opportunity to have positive impact in line with the 1.5°C.
Now we launch AFRY’s 1.5°C Roadmap. The roadmap is intended to support and guide us towards delivering on our climate commitments and provide transparency about our climate targets and actions. This is an important part of our work to ensure we take actions that lead to measurable results – which are needed for us to stay aligned with the ambition of limiting the increase of global average temperature to 1.5°C.
– Climate change is one of the biggest challenges of our time, and it is a global challenge. Collaboration is fundamental to tackle this. Therefore, transparency is key when committing to and delivering on climate action. For example, companies are increasingly setting net zero targets, but the approach to and definition of net zero varies. The AFRY 1.5°C Roadmap provides transparency by stating what science we base our climate commitments on, what net zero means to us and how we intend to achieve our climate commitments.
Linda Strindevall, Climate Reporting Project Manager at AFRY
AFRY is a member of the Exponential Roadmap Initiative
The 1.5°C Roadmap is based on the 1.5°C Business Playbook developed by the Exponential Roadmap Initiative which AFRY is a partner to. The Exponential Roadmap Initiative brings together innovators, disruptors and transformers taking action in line with the 1.5°C ambition. Through the 1.5°C Business Playbook, they provide a framework for all companies to reach net zero emissions rapidly based on four pillars:
- Pillar 1: Reduce your own emissions
- Pillar 2: Reduce your value chain emissions
- Pillar 3: Integrate climate in strategy
- Pillar 4: Influence climate action in society
Read more about the 1.5°C Business Playbook here.
Implementation of the roadmap and next steps
The AFRY 1.5°C Roadmap is meant to clarify what actions we need to take and where responsibility for implementation lies. It provides transparency and guidance regarding our key performance indicators, where we stand today, and areas of improvement. The roadmap also clarifies what role employees and managers play in AFRY’s climate action, while illustrating the different challenges and opportunities we have as a company.
A lot of work remains, and moving forward, one of our top priorities is to have our targets validated by the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi), in order to confirm that our targets are in line with the 1.5°C ambition. Another important step is to set up business intelligence dashboards so that CO2 emissions can be followed up throughout the business lines and, most importantly, we can implement emission reduction activities related to business travel and energy consumption.