EPCM delivery for Caledonian Biomass CHP Plant, UK
EPCM services for a 28 MWe BFB CHP Plant at UPM’s Caledonian Paper Mill
UPM-Kymmene (UK) Limited’s (“UPM”) Caledonian Paper Mill is the UK’s only producer of lightweight coated (LWC) paper and one of the most efficient paper mills of its type in the world. In 2007 they decided to construct a new biomass fired boiler to recover the resulting sludge through combustion.
The concept chosen by UPM was a bubbling fluidised bed (BFB) design, supplied by Valmet, to provide a half of the power required on site and 100% of the process steam required. AFRY were commissioned to carry out the complete basic, detailed and implementation engineering of the plant including procurement services.
AFRY’s services included:
- the initial conceptual design and feasibility study.
- technical support with financial modelling; and
- full engineering services for the EPCM multi-contract implementation.
The EPCM engineering services included the:
- specification of individual plant packages (i.e. fuel handling, boiler, turbine).
- interface engineering between the packages
- detailed engineering of the balance of plant systems (i.e. electrical system, automation system, piping and the detailed civil and structural design).
Plant name: Caledonian CHP
Location: Irvine, Scotland
Capacity: 99 MWth / 28 MWe
Fuel: Pulp and paper mill sludge, forestry residues
Client: UPM-Kymmene Oyj (UPM)
Services provided: Project development (Feasibility study, EPC contract) and full engineering services for EPCM method delivery
Execution period: 2007 - 2009
Did you know?
AFRY has had a substantial role in more than 130 (45 GW) thermal power plant projects worldwide and have experience of all kinds of biomass, such as forest harvesting residues, the by-products of the pulp and paper industry (sawdust, sludge, wood waste) and crops (rice husk, bagasse, cereal straw).
AFRY is one of very few engineering consultants capable of delivering WtE projects using the Engineering Procurement and Construction Management (EPCM) approach.
Interested in our offering? Contact us!