EPCM delivery for Shotton Biomass CHP Plant, UK
EPCM Services for 20 MWe Shotton BFB CHP Plant at UPM’s Paper Mill
When UPM-Kymmene (UK) Limited (“UPM”) decided to convert the Shotton Paper Mill to process 100% recycled newsprint they required a solution to recover the resulting sludge through combustion.
The concept chosen by UPM was a bubbling fluidised bed (BFB) design, supplied by Valmet, to provide a third of the power required on site and 90% of the process steam.
AFRY were commissioned to carry out the complete basic, detailed and implementation engineering of the plant including procurement services.
AFRY’s services included:
- the initial conceptual design and feasibility study;
- technical support with financial modelling; and
- full engineering services for the EPCM multi-contract implementation.
The EPCM engineering services included the:
- specification of individual plant packages (i.e. fuel handling, boiler, turbine);
- interface engineering between the packages; and
- detailed engineering of the balance of plant systems (i.e. electrical system, automation system, and piping).
Plant Name: Shotton CHP
Location: Shotton, Wales
Capacity: 85 MWth/20 MWe
Fuel: Pulp and paper mill sludge, forestry residues and waste wood
Client: UPM-Kymmene Oyj (UPM)
Services provided: Project Development (Feasibility study, EPC contract)
Full engineering services for EPCM method delivery
Execution period: 2004–2006
Did you know?
AFRY has had a substantial role in more than 130 (45 GW) thermal power plant projects worldwide and have experience of all kinds of biomass, such as forest harvesting residues, the by-products of the pulp and paper industry (sawdust, sludge, wood waste) and crops (rice husk, bagasse, cereal straw).
AFRY is one of very few engineering consultants capable of delivering WtE projects using the Engineering Procurement and Construction Management (EPCM) approach.
Interested in our offering? Contact us!