The most modern and efficient sawmill, Metsä Fibre Rauma
Metsä Fibre, part of Metsä Group, build the world’s most modern sawmill in Rauma. The value of the investment is approximately EUR 200 million, and the new unit will produce around 750,000 cubic metres of pine sawn timber a year. Construction works were started in the spring of 2020. Production at the sawmill is set to begin during the third quarter of 2022.
Metsä Fibre awarded AFRY with construction phase engineering assignment including detail engineering of all disciplines (process, mechanical & piping, electrical, instrumentation, automation and civil engineering including architectural design). The contract is a continuation of the pre-engineering phase where AFRY has been involved since spring 2019.
The new sawmill is a worldwide forerunner both in technology and in efficiency. For example, using machine vision and artificial intelligence in different stages of the sawing process is a significant new development. Similar technology is not yet in use anywhere in the sawmill industry.
Sustainability in Rauma sawmill project:
- 100% utilisation of wood raw material
- Wood sourced close to the saw mill, mainly from Finland
- Enables Rauma mill integrate to become fossil free
- Employs 100 people directly at the site and 500 people in direct value chain in Finland
- End use of timber materials e.g. in buildings will create carbon sinks
- The environmental impact of the sawmill will be minimised, and noise management, for example, has been taken into consideration starting from the design phase, both in construction and in the selection of equipment and machinery.