Seeking job as a newcomer
Seeking job as a newcomer - Three useful tips
Are you in the process of finding a new job, in another country than your country of origin? Sofia Klingberg works as Inclusion and Diversity Manager at AFRY, and her job is to ensure an inclusive and diverse culture in the organisation.
Here, Sofia shares some useful advice that can come in handy when you are looking for your next job. These can be applied to all areas of competence and all sectors, regardless if you are an engineer or not. It’s all about competence, network and positive attitude!
Think “specialist rather than generalist” – you can’t know everything, so focus on your core competence and tailor your application according to business, company and position.
- Have a specific CV – tailor your CV according to the job you are applying to
- Get to know the companies you are interested in – explore their websites and social media channels to understand how they work
- Do some research: how can your competence match companies’ demands? Are local language skills essential or not?
Your network is important – it helps you be a person, and not only a printed name on a piece of paper. Try to be brave and reach out to new people, even if you find it scary.
- Try to find new contacts, and maybe a mentor?
- Attend seminars, workshops, meetings and language cafes – be active!
- Use Linkedin to get to connect with people and broaden your network
- Get to know people in the organisations you are interested in
3. Positive attitude
Believe in yourself. Follow your dream. You are valuable, and you have a competence that the world needs!
- Focus on your special skills, and if you have time to spare, use it to increase your competence!
- Don’t give up! Be patient – it’s all about timing.
- Your mindset should be that everyone is chasing you – It’s not you that are chasing them. Believe in yourself – you can do it!
At AFRY, our core values are brave, devoted, team player. Think about these values when looking for a new job, and we are confident that you will find your dream position eventually. Be brave – reach out, broaden your network and ask questions. Be devoted – do your research, put some effort into your resume and always keep learning. Be a team player – always act friendly, be humble and share your expertise with your friends and network.
Good luck and stay safe!