Small Hydropower Plants
Climate change puts pressure on managing power in a way that is sustainable for generations to come.
One option is to invest in small hydropower and to capitalise on river resources in a decentralised manner. The contribution of small hydropower to worldwide electrical capacity is estimated to be on a similar scale as other renewable energy sources.
Small hydropower schemes are often underestimated because of their size; but, in fact, they need the same attention as large hydropower schemes. The main reason is the critical ratio between installed capacity and required investments. As a result, sound engineering and specific know-how is vital for a well-designed and successful project. In assisting clients with their small hydropower schemes, AFRY places focus on sound economic and safe operations by concentrating on key issues, such as:
- Sound solutions for bed load issues
- Thought-out excavation pit concepts
- Incorporation of all environmental aspects
- Simple and convincing civil structures
- Optimised ratio between generation and investment costs
- High reliability and operational comfort
- Assessment of additional benefits, such as carbon credits
To rely on AFRY means to benefit from top class and global hydropower know-how from one source.
Doing things right comes from expertise - and expertise is what we are known for.